Monday 10 November 2014

CHANGE TO THE ADVERTISED SCHEDULE

Almost exactly a month has passed since I wrote my piece about Dapper Laughs.

And it turns out I was wrong.




It's sad. It's sad that someone who I think possesses a true gift for comedy chooses to use it in such a poorly-considered way. It's a bit like watching Anakin Skywalker's difficult teenage years. Only it's more serious.

I don't have a lot to say that hasn't been said, much more brilliantly than me, by +Nathaniel Tapley (@Natt to normal people who don't use Google+ so much) who wrote this fantastic article.

I believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt. I don't like to condemn people before I've seen evidence of their wrongdoing. And I have now seen enough when it comes to Dapper Laughs.

I still maintain there is something in his show which has merit. There is something in him which has merit. I'm not trying to get all Christian or anything, but I do believe he has talent. But he needs to sort out his act (or perhaps more crucially, almost everything he says and does that isn't in his ITV2 show). He is intelligent enough to know this - this may be why he is so angry about criticism. People are often at their most angry when something has touched a nerve.

The show is a triumph, then, it seems to me, of production over performer - a rare win. Dapper Laughs had a very smart team behind him on that show. They brought out the absolute best in him. Sadly, though, I think he has squandered an opportunity many people would receive with a great deal more humility.

So long, Daniel. Move along, folks. Nothing to see here.




No comments:

Post a Comment